Consulting and Coaching
OneSource Center boasts a volunteer workforce of more than 100 individuals with executive leadership and management skills developed in both for-profit and nonprofit organizations. With an average of 25 years of professional experience, our volunteer consultants are well qualified to help find solutions to the unique challenges you face.
Because our consultants come from a variety of backgrounds, our teams possess the range of expertise you need to work through operational issues, strategic challenges, or leadership development concerns. Working collaboratively with you, your project will yield a detailed plan with clear steps to implement your solutions, which followed will strengthen your organization.
Our core consulting services and examples of common project types within those core areas include:
- Strategic Planning
- Facilitate the development of goals, objectives, strategies and measures and strategic plan creation; organizational assessment; visioning; action planning and dashboard development; sustainability strategies
- Board Strengthening and Development
- Roles and responsibilities training, guided self-assessments, stakeholder interviews, bylaws and other documentation development and review, retreat design and facilitation, mission/vision/values workshop
- Business Solutions
- Budget and financial review, best practice and market research, process mapping, marketing, feasibility studies, fundraising strategy, data analysis, business planning, business plan development and review, financial forecast, competitive analysis summary
- Leadership Development and HR Problem-Solving/Planning
- Talent management/management skill building, succession planning, roundtable discussion facilitation, executive searches, workforce engagement survey and evaluation, training on human resources and employment standards, team-building design and facilitation, coaching
- Strategic Planning
By no means is this an exhaustive list of the types of projects we do. Moreover, with a portfolio of nearly 1,000 projects completed since 1995, it’s likely we can provide assistance to your unique situation. Additionally, OneSource Center is an affiliate of the Executive Service Corps-United States, a national network of organizations that provide consulting, coaching, facilitation and many other services to strengthen nonprofits, which means access to thousands of volunteer professionals with myriad talents.
Please contact us to discuss your nonprofit needs.
How a Project Works
After receiving your Request for Assistance, we meet with you to understand your needs in depth and assess and prioritize the ways in which we can help. We will prepare a consulting agreement, concisely detailing the scope, duration and cost of the project. Then we assemble a team, led by a project manager, to work with you and your team.
While the duration of all projects varies depending upon complexity, on average, most will be concluded in six months. We work hard to ensure that we have met or exceeded your expectations.
Most importantly, your nonprofit will come away with the tools and strategies you need to achieve maximum community impact.
OneSource coaches support nonprofit leaders to discover new skills, behaviors and actions for addressing their organization’s needs. Coaching helps focus more clearly on reaching your goals.
What is Coaching?
Coaching provides one-on-one access to an experienced professional who will challenge and support you as you explore the issues relating to your work. The relationship relies on trust, honesty and dialogue. All coaches and participants sign a confidentiality agreement that precludes disclosing the substance of what is discussed.
A coach can help you think through major decisions, discover new strategies and ways of working, set goals and chart the next step in your development.
How the Coaching Program Works
Upon receiving a request for a coach, we arrange a meeting to discuss and understand your objectives and expectations. Next, an individual coach is selected from our pool of experienced, trained professionals based upon your specific coaching objectives.
A consulting agreement is formalized between the client and the coach, identifying the specific areas of focus and the commitment and responsibilities of the client and the coach.
We recommend at least a three-month coaching commitment, with in-person meetings once or twice a month supplemented with phone calls and email correspondence between meetings. Beyond this, the frequency and length of the coaching agreement can be tailored to your needs.
Benefits of Coaching Include:
- Having a sounding board to test ideas within a supportive, confidential environment
- Accountability to focus and stay on task
- Creation and implementation of personal or organizational development plans
Coaching Builds More Effective Nonprofits
A study conducted by Compasspoint Nonprofit Services found that coaching had a “profound impact” on nonprofit leaders’ management and leadership skills, relationships with staff and board members, overall job satisfaction and work-life balance, and confidence and adaptability. The organizations of these leaders showed improved teamwork and communication, increased financial stability and fundraising capacity, and greater clarity in decision-making processes and staff roles.